“Aberdare national Park”
“Ol Donyo EL Satima” in Masai , means, The Mountain of the Satima Tribe.
The Satima Moran’s frequented this area for ceremonial purposes. “Ol Donyo El Satima” is the highest point in the Aberdares and is situated at the north most end of this folded and uplifted range. Although there is no permanent snow or ice, former glaciations are responsible for the formation of large U – shaped valleys. The Aberdares lie along the edge of the Rift Valley and on clear days, magnificent views of the Rift Valley are to be seen to the west and views of Mt. Kenya to the east.
Our safaris starts from the Lodge at 08.00 hrs. The drive to the Aberdare passes through interesting Savannah Country, full of plains species of fauna and flora, the trough farmlands on the lower slopes and finally into the lush Aberdare National Park which is famous for its abundance of wildlife. At about 09.30 hrs, we arrive at (3,300m.) where our trek begins. The trek across this lovely afro-alpine moorland is like nothing else available in Kenya. The rolling open terrain is extremely attractive for walking and the possibility of seeing a number of animals including leopards, against a background of fantastic vegetation makes this trek very enticing. We picnic on top of El Satima after about three to four hour-walk. We then drive back to the Lodge, arriving by 18.00/1900hrs to a sumptuous dinner.
Please note that the Aberdare range is in high rainfall area, subject to sudden storms. A rain parka,water bottle, light wool sweater and day pack for camera and other gear are essential.
SEE MORE RELATED SAFARI PACKAKES BELOW!
- Jea 30: Mt. Kenya(5 Days 4 Nights)
- Jea 50: A Day Trek to Ol’Donyo El’Satima
- Jea 51: A Three-Day Foot Safari to Mt. Kenya
- Jea 52: Four Day Foot Safari to Mt. Kenya
- Jea 53: Five Day Circumnavigation of Mt. Kenya
- Jea 54: Five Day Sirimon Trek
- Jea 55: Five Day Chogoria Route
- Jea 56: Five Days Four Overnights in Chogoria out Sirimon.
- Jea 57: Six Days Best of Mt. Kenya
- Jea 58: Seven Days Chogoria Transverse.
- Jea 59: Seven Day Timau Trek
- Jea60: Seven Day The Land of Contrast
- Jea42:Mount Kilimanjaro Climbing Itineraries